LAKEWOOD NJ LIMO & AIRPORT TRANSPORTATION
If you are looking for a limo or Car Service in the Lakewood area, look no further. Reliable Limo & Car Service should be your first and last choice. We love our Lakewood Community!
We offer every type of transportation needs for special events including, kabbalat panim, AUFRUF, Purim, Bar & Bat mitzvah and many other events.
Going to a BlueClaws game? We are here to take you. FirstEnergy Park, a state-of-the-art facility, opened in 2001 when the BlueClaws came to the Jersey Shore. The park features 6,588 reserve seats, 16 Luxury Suites, two Party Decks, two picnic areas, and a full, new, 1,859-square foot video scoreboard, which was installed before the 2015 season.
- + 20% Gratuity
- + 20% Gratuity
HISTORY OF LAKEWOOD
The earliest documented European settlement of the present Lakewood area was by operators of sawmills, from about 1750 forward. One such sawmill – located at the east end of the present Lake Carasaljo – was known as Three Partners Mill from at least 1789 until at least 1814. From 1815 until 1818, in the same area, Jesse Richards had an iron-smelting operation known as Washington Furnace, using the local bog iron ore. The ironworks were revived in 1833 by Joseph W. Brick, who named the business Bergen Iron Works, which also became the name of the accompanying town. In 1865, the town was renamed Bricksburg in 1865, and in 1880, it was renamed Lakewood and became a fashionable winter resort.
Lakewood’s developers thought that “Bricksburg” didn’t capture their vision for the community, and the names “Brightwood” and “Lakewood” were proposed. After reaching out to area residents, “Lakewood” was chosen, and the United States Postal Service approved the name in March 1880. The name “Lakewood” was intended to focus on the location near lakes and pine forests.
Lakewood was incorporated as a township by an act of the New Jersey Legislature on March 23, 1892, from portions of Brick Township. Portions of Howell Township in Monmouth County were annexed to Lakewood Township in 1929.
More Interesting Facts about Lakewood NJ
Lakewood’s three greatest hotels were the Laurel House (opened in 1880; closed in 1932). The Lakewood Hotel (opened January 1891, closed in 1925). The Laurel-in-the-Pines (opened December 1891, burned down in 1967). Lakewood’s promoters claimed that its winter temperature was usually about ten degrees warmer than that of New York City and were warmer than points located further south. This claim is not substantiated by official records of the United States Weather Bureau. During the 1890s, Lakewood was a resort for the rich and famous, and The New York Times devoted a weekly column to the activities of Lakewood society.
Grover Cleveland spent the winters of 1891-92 and 1892-93 in a cottage near the Lakewood Hotel, commuting to his business in New York City. Mark Twain also enjoyed vacationing in Lakewood. George Jay Gould I acquired an estate at Lakewood in 1896, which is now Georgian Court University. John D. Rockefeller bought a property in 1902 which later became Ocean County Park. Lakewood’s hotel business remained strong in the 1920s and 1950s, but went into severe decline in the 1960s. In the 1960s, much of the woods and cranberry bogs in the township were replaced by large housing developments. Leisure Village, a condominium retirement development on the south side of Route 70, opened for sale in 1963